Re: Why do I need both AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE???

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: Why do I need both AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE???
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 01:24:18 -0400

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:32:22AM +0100, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> I have a configure.ac file. Unless I have both AC_INIT and
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, automake complains
>
> i.e. starting like this is okay, but there seems duplication of the
> package name, my email address and version number:
>
> AC_PREREQ(2.57)
> AC_INIT(atlc, 4.2.12, address@hidden)
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(atlc, 4.2.12, address@hidden)
> [...]
> yet removing 'AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' prevents the configure script from
> being generated

That usage of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is deprecated.  You do need to
call it -- but you should be able to do so with no arguments:
    AC_PREREQ(2.57)
    AC_INIT(atlc, 4.2.12, address@hidden)
    AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

See the description of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE in the manual.

(The form you've been using dates from a time when AC_INIT did
*not* accept package-name and version arguments.
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE still accepts those values for backward
compatibility, but providing them in AC_INIT instead is now
preferred.)

> - see below, despite the fact I have run 'aclocal',
> which is from automake 1.7 and not an old version of automake I have
> lying around as the error message suggests.

Although your "aclocal" program is from 1.7, it's possibly
reading the data files from an older version of Automake.  If you
change your configure.ac as I've suggested, and get complaints
about missing arguments to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE (or other weird
errors suggesting that Automake doesn't know the package's name
or version), I'd raise that from "possible" to "almost certain" :-)

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
My Wine works.  However it crashes about half the time on startup.
Apparently their simulation of windoze API is getting too accurate.  :)
        - Kyle Sallee