Re: Problem with CVS HEAD, bootstrap, Perl 5.005_003

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: Problem with CVS HEAD, bootstrap, Perl 5.005_003
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:59:21 -0500

Hi,

Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:

>  Richard> Hello.
>  Richard> I just tried to bootstrap automake CVS HEAD and I got the following
> error:
>
>  Richard> iolanthe:~/src/automake =] ./bootstrap
>  Richard> delete argument is not a HASH element or slice at
>  Richard> automake-1.7a/Automake/DisjConditions.pm line 514.
>  Richard> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./automake.tmp line 130.
>
> That probably something we should fix.  How do you delete a list
> element in old Perl versions?

Alexandre, you'll come after me with a chainsaw for this, but ... :-)

Let's just replace simplify() with

  sub simplify($)
  {
    my ($self) = @_;
    return $self->invert->invert;
  }

This actually passes all the simplify() tests (and even handles the
FIXME in there).  This is somewhat slower than the original
semi-QM[1], but it isn't too bad.

Also, we can remove the one call to simplify() in automake.in since
invert() already returns stuff that cannot be further simplified by
simplify().

- Hari

[1] The current simplify() is semi-QM since it doesn't eliminate
    all redundant minterms.  Consider (xa + !xb + ab): this isn't
    simplified to (xa + !xb) either by the current implementation,
    or the invert() based one.
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden