How do a copy a file?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: How do a copy a file?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 00:09:07 +0100

I have a test script that needs to copy a file from the source
distribution to a tempory directory off of the build directory. I have
in the test script:

#! /bin/sh
echo top_srcdir = $top_srcdir top_builddir= $top_builddir
cp $top_srcdir/examples/25ohm-201h.bmp
$top_builddir/tmp/25ohm-201h.bmp

(the direcory $top_builddir/tmp is made in another test script).

The above works fine if I run build in the source tree, but seems to
go astray if I do 'make distcheck' and so do a VPATH build.

The echo above prints:
top_srcdir = ../.. top_builddir= ..

In the tests/Makefile.am I have:

TESTS_ENVIRONMENT = \
top_builddir=$(top_builddir) \
top_srcdir=$(top_srcdir) \
built_with_posix_threads=$(built_with_posix_threads)

What am  I doing wrong?? Can I not copy a file with cp like this???

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,