Re: Why does 'configure' look for localhost-g++ ???

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Why does 'configure' look for localhost-g++ ???
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:58:56 +0200

> Even ignoring my script, just attempting to execute a normal
> 'configure' script via ssh on the **localhost** will always fail. In
> the following example I have an automake/autoconf generated configure
> script in $HOME/atlc which runs fine if run in the conventional way.
> But running via ssh on the local host gives problems.
>
> sparrow /export/home/davek/atlc % ssh localhost atlc/configure
> [snip]
> checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... configure: error: cannot
> run C++ compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> So lets try the --host=sun4, the output of which is below
>

> sparrow /export/home/davek/atlc % ssh localhost 'atlc/configure
> --host=sun4'
> configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use
> --host.
>     If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be
> used.
> [snip]
> checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
> checking whether we are cross compiling... yes

Well yes - that's to be expected.  In both cases, running fails,
but in the second case the presence of --host (with whatever content)
suggests to configure that cross-compilation is being done, so it
doesn't consider a failed run a fatal problem.
Most likely there is something in the environment that isn't getting
set properly if you use ssh with a command (perhaps LD_LIBRARY_PATH
or similar).
Does it work if in a ssh-based shell? i.e.:

  $ ssh localhost
  ssh$ atlc/configure

(by the way, this configures atlc/* sources to use . as the builddir,
which may not be what you want)