Re: problem with AC_CONFIG_HEADERS and automake

From: Dale E Martin
Subject: Re: problem with AC_CONFIG_HEADERS and automake
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 09:54:03 -0400

> Yes, another source of library problems that I came across and the
> ax...stdint_h macros have come into widespread usage lately which is a
> configure-time macro to find _or_ create a header file that carries the
> bitspecific inttypes types, ie uint64_t and friends.

I'll take a look at that, I'm sure it's more complete than my
implementation.  Is it part of the standard distribution?

> That's great - and in fact it makes for better readibility if you define
> only custom defines that drive options in your development environment.
> For this case I would not recommend to change over to prefix-config.h,
> just keep it, the prefix-config.h thing is simply better to have an easy
> start since most projects have a lot of ifdefs on config.h defines around
> which makes their developers ask here for they have problems when that
> file gets installed (and shipped). To just change over into a
> prefixed-defines world happens to be a bit easier than defining your own
> header file _and_ *all* ac_define's to be put into that file.

OK, so I'm doing it right now, great :-)  Back to the original question -
is there some way I can get "AC_CONFIG_HEADERS" to work with both automake
1.7 and automake 1.5, or something that will give me the same
functionality?  Or do I need to establish a new minimum version of automake
and tell my developers to upgrade?

> >Interestingly, last time I asked about this (a few weeks back) noone
> >mentioned AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H.  I'll look into that.

> The ac-archive macros are not part of the accepted standard breed of
> macros as shipped by autoconf, not everyone uses them, knows them, or
> likes them.

Then where do people get them?  I'll have to do some googling for past
discussions about this I guess.

> The discussion about prefix-config-h comes up a bit more often lately as
> it seems the number of autoconf'd libraries is simply
> increasing. Reusable software components seem to get some advancements.

And/or autotools are gaining popularity.

Thanks,
        Dale
--
Dale E. Martin, Clifton Labs, Inc.