Re: Status of Java support and Guile conversion?

From: Simon Richter
Subject: Re: Status of Java support and Guile conversion?
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 13:27:46 +0200

Roland,

> I have done a few searches to ascertain the state of Java support for
> the automake/autoconf tools which have been, in the past, difficult to
> use in a Java or mixed environment (we're mostly using Jam, right now).

Over here. I need Java support for myself, so I'm working on integrating
it into automake properly (and probably without breaking the existing
interface), but I'm not overly happy with the new interface[1], and I
need to understand all the inner workings first.

> Although I have seen some activity it's unclear if there is any type of
> focused effort under way to fully integrate Java builds and what that
> status of that effort is - specifically, is there anything out there
> that we could try our hands on.

Not yet, since I don't fully grok the current version yet (I'm not
overly fluent in perl).

> During the searches I also came across a remark along the lines that
> autoconf/automake would be re-written in Guile. Didn't find anything
> else, but that is pretty exciting. I'm currently fixing and extending
> the old greg library (sort of a simple expect for Guile) to run with the
> latest Guile release and drive our automated test suite. Anyone have any
> info on this effort?

You probably mean Arc[2].

   Simon

[1] http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2003-02/msg00151.html
[2] http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/arc/

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4