install dependencies are ignored

From: Philip Graham Willoughby
Subject: install dependencies are ignored
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:28:14 +0100

Here's the relevent fragment of my Makefile.am:

pkglib_LTLIBRARIES=libapttlog.la
libapttlog_la_SOURCES=aptt/log/log.c
address@hidden@

lib_LTLIBRARIES=libaptttest.la
libaptttest_la_SOURCES=aptt/test/test.c
libaptttest_la_LIBADD=libapttlog.la @LTLIBINTL@

When I run make install, libaptttest.la is always installed first.  This
never works, because it depends on libapttlog.la having been installed
previously.  I can fix it for my case by changing:

install-exec-am: install-libLTLIBRARIES install-libexecPROGRAMS \
        install-pkglibLTLIBRARIES

to:

install-exec-am: install-pkglibLTLIBRARIES install-libLTLIBRARIES \
        install-libexecPROGRAMS

but this probably doesn't work for everyone (on the other hand, I would have
thought you always wanted all PROGRAMS targets after all (LT)?LIBRARIES
targets anyway).

As far as I can see, the best way to avoid this in all situations is to
generate dependency rules for make from the LIBADD (and of course, LDADD)
information, something like:

$libdir/libaptttest.la: $pkglibdir/libapttlog.la
        -- install rule --

Of course, the rule for $pkglibdir/libapttlog.la would need a similar
dependency on whatever it is that @LIBLTDL@ expands to - this would surely
be slightly tricky because automake never sees the expanded value because
it's not known until configure time.

Regards,

Philip Willoughby