Anyone installing Perl modules?

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Anyone installing Perl modules?
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 11:48:20 -0700

I'm installing pure-perl (i.e. don't have to be built) modules using in:

   $(libexecdir)/perl

and I've got libexecdir defaulting to
libexecdir='${exec_prefix}/lib/${PACKAGE}'.

I like this because it keeps my package together in once place, but it means
that my
modules are not in the standard @INC.  Even that is not a big problem because
programs I
install in $PATH can be set at configure time to add libexecdir/perl to @INC.
Still, that
means "perldoc Foo" to read docs in a module I'm installing fails.

But, is there a better or more common way to install my Perl modules into the
system @INC
using Automake/autoconf?  There still should be a way to override where they
are installed
with a configure switch.

Oh, somewhat related and a C question:

If I install a helper program in libexecdir (which is not in the $PATH), what
is the best
way to portably add that path in my C program (for either a popen() or
fork/exec to run the
program)?

Thanks very much,

--