Building a number of small shared modules

From: Joshua Kwan
Subject: Building a number of small shared modules
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 19:13:45 -0700

I'm currently trying to convert ircd-hybrid's build system to use
automake. However, there are some issues with building our ircd modules.

We currently use a suffix rule to build all the shared libraries. (Check
out ircd-hybrid.com/snapshot and download a CURRENT tarball, and look at
modules/Makefile.in.) However, this kind of flexibility doesn't seem to
be available in automake 1.7. AIUI I have to specify a _SOURCES, _LIBS
for each and every source file. And because we have different kinds of
operating system conditionals where shared modules are built with
different extensions (as an example) this has to be done two or three
times.

Is there an easy way to do this? We were hoping that automake would make
things simpler, and for most of the source tree, it has, but not in the
modules world :)

Regards
Josh