Re: libraries - dependencies

From: Mr E_T
Subject: Re: libraries - dependencies
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:56:10 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Santosh wrote:

> hello,
>       In Automake, how do we specify dependency
> between libraries, is LIBADD for this purpose.
>
> How do we specify interdependencies between libraries,
>
> I have three libraries, A, B, C
> A -> B (A dependes on B)
> B -> C (B depends on C)
> C -> A (C depends on A)
>
> Would be thankful for any suggestions/ideas/solutions.

This does not sound like good programming practice.
Usaully a dependancy is built first then linked to the next at link time.
The pattern is in the form of a tree - not a circle.

ie  A -> B
    B -> C
    D -> B & C

In this case A is built first then B C and finaly D because each subsequent
library is linked to the previous.

If this is a good representation of your libraries - then consider rewriting
them to fit into a tree type figure.

If the library/object is found by configure - then use prog_LIBADD else if it
is
created by you use prog_LDADD.

--
regs MR E_T