Re: icc dependency generation

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: icc dependency generation
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:36:33 +0200

* Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote on Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:09:20PM CEST:

> What happens with `icc -MD -c -o foo/bar.o foo/bar.c' ?
> Does that create foo/bar.d or bar.d?  For Automake the
> ideal would be foo/bar.d.

bar.d

> You mentioned that the depcomp configure test fails to
> chose the icc mode.  What mode does it select presently?

tru64, but see below.

* Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote on Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 01:26:42AM CEST:

> Update: I've got the occasion to try ICC 7.1 (Build 20030617Z)
> with automake 1.7.5 and I've found it is working fine.
> ./configure correctly selects the icc dependency tracking mode,
> and when I try the small test from your first mail it works as
> Automake expects:
*snip*
> So I'm quite puzzled by your report.

Yep.  Looks like they changed that between Version 7.1 Build 20030402Z
and the newer version you used.  Good news, it seems (maybe you could
check the changelog of the newer build).

> I'm assuming that if ./configure fails to select the icc mode,
> it will use the tru64 mode (which is wrong for ICC).  The
> following patch should allow ./configure to realize tru64 is not
> good either.  Could you try it?

Yes.  With the patch applied, 'none' will be selected.

Well, pending vendor reply I'd say this issue could probably be solved
by a compiler upgrade on our side.  Thanks for your help on this, I'll
report back about response.

Regards,