Mis(?)behavior of automake on non-existent directories

From: Raphaël Poss
Subject: Mis(?)behavior of automake on non-existent directories
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:52:49 +0200

Hi,

     I lately noticed that some  parts of my autoconf/automake code do
     not work any more.

     Context:  I am working on   a project where subdirectories should
     not be distributed unless they are present in  the source tree at
     the time of 'make dist'.

Given the following configure.ac:

---8<----
AC_PREREQ([2.54])
AC_INIT([test], [0.1], address@hidden)
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([Makefile.am])
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.7 no-define foreign dist-bzip2])

TEST_SUBDIRS=''
if test -d "$srcdir"/foo; then
   TEST_SUBDIRS=foo
   AC_CONFIG_FILES([foo/Makefile])
fi
AC_SUBST([TEST_SUBDIRS])

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])

AC_OUTPUT
---8<----

And the following Makefile.am:

---8<----
SUBDIRS = $(TEST_SUBDIRS)
---8<----

    The command   './configure    && make   distcheck'  fails if   the
    subdirectory 'foo' is erased after  'autoconf' and 'automake' have
    run.

    It seems like 'make dist'  creates an archive  with an empty 'foo'
    directory in  it, whereas the same  command with previous versions
    of Autoconf/Automake (2.56/1.6) did not.

    I have been told recently that the behavior  I expect was possible
    due to a bug in previous releases of the Autotools.

    Could  someone confirm  (or  infirm), and/or   point   me to  some
    direction to solve my current problem ?

Regards,
rp

--
. Raphaël Poss                                     . . _ - --------\
: EPITA CSI 2003                                       ICQ 1757157 |
\------ - _ . .                               a13ad7c86dd33b72e72b '