Yet another sub-directories question

From: Roberto Cavada
Subject: Yet another sub-directories question
Date: 17 Jul 2003 15:23:17 +0200

Hi all list's members,

  I've been trying to solve some problems with Automake these days,
since I am new to autotools.

My library has a large set of source files organized into several sub
directories.

top
 |- src
 |    |- pkg1
      |   |- pkg1.1
      |   |    |- src111.{c,h}
      |   |    |- src112.{c,h}
      |   |- pkg1.2
      |   |    |- ...
      |   |
      |   |- src11.{c,h}
      |   |- ...

      |- pkg2
      |   |- ...
      |-  ...

src contains a set of packages, that can contain both source files and
sub packages. Sub packages can contain source files and (in principle)
sub packages as well.

top contains one Makefile.am and all bootstrap generated files.
src contains the Makefile.am that builds the library.

I know (from previous posts about this issue) that src can refer to
packages source directly.
The problem is that I want to keep knowledge of the content of a given
package as much local as possible. 'src' knows the packages it contains,
but does know nothing about what the packages contain.
The same for each package.

Is there a clean solution here?
Is this hierarchical organization standard enough?

Thanks.
rob

--
  _/_/_/   _/_/_/   Roberto Cavada