Re: Filenames containing blanks

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: Filenames containing blanks
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:40:17 -0400

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
"Ralf" == Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:

 Ralf> Hi,
 Ralf> Simple question: Does automake support filenames containing blanks?

I guess nobody really bothered because Make itself uses blanks
as filename separators.  '\ ' seems to be a GNU extension, does
anybody knows of another implementation where it works?  (Do not
misread this as an objection, I'm just curious to know where it
can work.)

The nature of Bourne compliant shells and IFS won't allow it to work AFAIK. Yes, it is possible to have spaces in file names. The work required based on assumptions of tools that they don't isn't worth trying to fix, IMO. The workaround is, don't use file names with spaces.

Earnie.