Re: Filenames containing blanks

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Filenames containing blanks
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:09:44 +0200

>>> "gd" == Guido Draheim <address@hidden> writes:

 gd> Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
 >>>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:
 Ralf> Hi,
 Ralf> Simple question: Does automake support filenames containing blanks?
 >> I guess nobody really bothered because Make itself uses blanks
 >> as filename separators.  '\ ' seems to be a GNU extension, does
 >> anybody knows of another implementation where it works?  (Do not
 >> misread this as an objection, I'm just curious to know where it
 >> can work.)

 gd> The '\ 's are not seen by make, they are interpreted by the shell
 gd> that is invoked in the make rule executions, right? And for data,
 gd> there is rarely the occasion it occurs in a make rule header...

$(data_DATA) is a dependency of all, check, install, and
distdir, in case data file need to be built.  So it matters.

Try

FOO = f\ 1
all: $(FOO)

and compare

% make       # GNU make
make: *** No rule to make target `f 1', needed by `all'.  Stop.
% pmake      # NetBSD make
make: don't know how to make f\. Stop
% fmake      # FreeBSD make
make: don't know how to make f\. Stop