Re: delete aclocal.m4? keep generated files on cvs server? enforce spece

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: delete aclocal.m4? keep generated files on cvs server? enforce specefic automake/conf version?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:55:15 -0500

Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 05:33:43PM -0500, Raja R Harinath wrote:

>> Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > autoreconf has a habit of doing silly things like running autopoint,
>> > which then cheerfully adds a bunch of gunk to the source tree which
>> > you didn't want. I've never seen it actually do what I wanted, and
>> > frankly, it's far too complicated for what should be a trivial script.
>>
>> It does that only when you ask for 'gettext'.  On most modern
>> machines, esp. on Debian, you should replace
>>
>>   AM_GNU_GETTEXT
>>
>> with
>>
>>   AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION([0.12.1]) # or appropriate version
>>   AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external])
>>
>> and thinks will be peachier.
>
> All that does is stop including a complete copy of libintl in your
> source tree. autopoint still wants to add a few dozen files. The best
> solution is to not run autopoint at all, since it doesn't do anything
> useful if you don't want to include a copy of gettext in your
> distributed tarballs.

But, you asked for with AM_GNU_GETTEXT.

AFAIR, the files are all limited to the po/ directory, and they're all
used either by AM_GNU_GETTEXT or po/Makefile.in.in.

The only issue with upgrading from previous versions of
po/Makefile.in.in is that you have to create po/Makevars, which you
can do once and for all with

  sed 's,^MSGID_BUGS_ADDRESS =,& address@hidden,' < po/Makevars.template >
po/Makevars

You can check in po/Makevars into the CVS repository.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden