automake and shared libraries

From: Mattias Brändström
Subject: automake and shared libraries
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:45:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hello!

A question regarding building shared libraries with automake.

My project is laid out in a heirarchy something like this:

.../src/project/foo
.../src/project/bar
.../src/project/main

In each of the leaf directories i might build a static library called
for example libfoo.a or libbar.a. All (or some) of these static
libraries I want to combine into a larger shared library in
.../src/project/Makefile.am. Right now I'm doing this like so:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libproject.la
librkcone_la_LIBADD = foo/libfoo.a

When I do it like these I get a warning during the build process saying:

*** Warning: Linking the shared library libproject.la against the
*** static library foo/libfoo.a is not portable!

Since I'm new to building shared libraries and automake I wonder what
the portable way to do it would be. I'm not even 100% sure that I need
to be portable since we probably will use Linux only in this project,
but it would be nice to be portable anyway. =)

All comments are usefull!

Regards,
Mattias