Re: 1.7.6, DIST_SUBDIRS, and distcheck

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: 1.7.6, DIST_SUBDIRS, and distcheck
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:32:00 -0500

Hi,

Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a subroutine that is only conditionally built.
>
> I have listed this subroutine in DIST_SUBDIRS, as that's where I
> gather the list of subdirs that must be in a distribution but might
> not be built are specified.
>
> With 1.7.6, distcheck now fails as it tries to "cd" to this
> directory inside the =build/ subdir.

The directory and Makefile should exist, even if it isn't used.
You cannot disable generation of the Makefile in your configure.ac.

> Is this a bug in 1.7.6 or do I have to solve this another way?

A rule of thumb is that every Makefile.am should have a corresponding
*unconditional* AC_CONFIG_FILES entry in your configure.ac.  The
directories and Makefiles should be created even if nothing in them
is built.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden