extending Automake with a custom primary

From: Ireneusz SZCZESNIAK
Subject: extending Automake with a custom primary
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:36:07 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

I want to extend Automake with my own primary.  I am writing to ask if
Automake can be customized this way.  I would like to write in
Automake.am:

VPSRC = @VPSRC@
noinst_VPBUILD = vorpal_ser vorpal_par
vorpal_ser_CONFFLAGS = --disable-mpi
vorpal_par_CONFFLAGS = --enable-mpi

My primary would be "VPBUILD", and I would pass some parameters with
"CONFFLAGS" to build a particular target (vorpal_ser or vorpal_par).
The example above would instruct Automake (and my custom macros) to
create two directories: "vorpal_ser" and "vorpal_par".  In each of
these two directories our software would be configured with different
flags (the flags would be given with "CONFFLAGS") and then built.  The
variable "VPSRC" would be used in the process of configuring and
building.

Thanks & best,
Irek