Re: Automake/Libtool does not create shared libraries

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Automake/Libtool does not create shared libraries
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:09:08 +0200

>>> "Johnny" == Johnny Wezel <address@hidden> writes:

 Johnny> What's needed to create shared libraries? My automake only creates
 Johnny> static libraries.

 Johnny> This is my Makefile.am:

 Johnny> AM_CXXFLAGS = -g -DGC_OPERATOR_NEW_ARRAY -DGC_DEBUG
 Johnny> lib_LTLIBRARIES = libj.la
 Johnny> library_includedir = $(includedir)/libj

 Johnny> libj_la_SOURCES =\
 Johnny> JFlAdd.cc\
 Johnny> JFlAdd.h\
 Johnny> JFlAnyValue.h\
 Johnny> JFlArray.cc\
 Johnny> JFlArray.h\
 Johnny> JFlBinaryOperation.cc\
 Johnny> JFlBinaryOperation.h\
 Johnny> ...

This looks fine to me.

 Johnny> I tried several versions of automake (1.4 thru 1.7);
 Johnny> all behave the same.

Automake just outputs rules to build the libj.la, and these
probably haven't changed a lot.  Libtool is called at make-time
to build libj.la; this can cause static or shared libraries to
be built as a side effect, depending on the configuration of
libtool.  So for such a problem, you should probably look how
libtool is setup.

I'm wondering whether you might be thinking that shared
libraries are not built simply because you cannot see them.
Libtool builds such libraries in a secret place.  You should
only refer to libj.la in your Makefile and let libtool do the
magic.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz