Re: Building .so files only.

From: Tom Howard
Subject: Re: Building .so files only.
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:48:43 +1000

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 16:21, Stephen Torri wrote:
> I am trying to build libraries that will act as modules in a program. At
> present when I do a compile its building .la, .so, .so.0.0 and .so.0.0.0
> files. I am looking for advice on how to setup my Makefile.am file so
> that all I get installed is a .so file. Ideas?
>
> My intention is to search a subdirectory and load modules as required
> into memory. I would like to not have to put into the source code things
> for sorting out which files to load and which to ignore. I would like to
> utilize as much as I can from the development sources like automake
> before requiring source code to handle this problem.

I'm not an expert so make sure you have a look at the other responses.  They
way I handles this in my project was to install the modules into the
pkglibdir and then had a post installation hook that would create a symbolic
link within the module directory to the .la file.

In my situation I was using the libtools convenience library to load the
modules, so the extention wasn't so important, but that there was only one
entry for that module in the module directory.

HTH

--
Tom Howard