Re: list installed files

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: list installed files
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:24:03 +0200

>>> "Tom" == Tom Howard <address@hidden> writes:

 Tom> Hi,

 Tom> Is there a simple way to list the files that will be
 Tom> installed and where they will be installed to?  Currently
 Tom> I'm recursivly generating a list (my project has a few
 Tom> levels of subdirectories) by going through
 Tom> pkglib_LTLIBRARIES, bin_PROGRAMS, etc, but I've go to
 Tom> remember to add stuff like net_HEADERS, etc.

make DESTDIR=/tmpdir install
cd /tmpdir
find . -print

[...]

 Tom> If you are wondering why I'm doing this, I use the list as
 Tom> part of the rpm spec file that I get automake to generate.

How about installing all the files in an empty directory with
DESTDIR, and building your RPM from that directory?  This is what
DESTDIR is meant for.  This way you don't need a list of files.

Staged installs
===============

Automake generates support for the `DESTDIR' variable in all install
rules.  `DESTDIR' is used during the `make install' step to relocate
install objects into a staging area.  Each object and path is prefixed
with the value of `DESTDIR' before being copied into the install area.
Here is an example of typical DESTDIR usage:

     make DESTDIR=/tmp/staging install

   This places install objects in a directory tree built under
`/tmp/staging'.  If `/gnu/bin/foo' and `/gnu/share/aclocal/foo.m4' are
to be installed, the above command would install
`/tmp/staging/gnu/bin/foo' and `/tmp/staging/gnu/share/aclocal/foo.m4'.

   This feature is commonly used to build install images and packages.
For more information, see *Note Makefile Conventions:
(standards)Makefile Conventions.

   Support for `DESTDIR' is implemented by coding it directly into the
install rules.  If your `Makefile.am' uses a local install rule (e.g.,
`install-exec-local') or an install hook, then you must write that code
to respect `DESTDIR'.

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz