RE: Building .so files only.

From: Schleicher Ralph (LLI)
Subject: RE: Building .so files only.
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:53:02 +0200

Tom Howard writes:

> Sorry if I'm being dense, but (after reading the referenced messages) I don't
> understand why using the -shared flag will only produce the a .so file.
> Won't it still produce a .so.X, .so.X.X.X and .la files as well?

In libtool jargon, ".so file" is a synonym for a shared library.
This includes all companion files, but their names and number
depend on libtool's configuration and build options.  E.g., HP-UX
uses .sl instead of .so for the shared library file name extension,
but libtool users on HP-UX also talk about .so files, so that
libtool users on other systems don't get confused.

--
Ralph