Re: distcheck fails (Inclusion confusion)

From: Tom Howard
Subject: Re: distcheck fails (Inclusion confusion)
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 08:02:03 +1000

On Saturday 06 September 2003 18:22, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Everything seems to compile fine but a make distcheck reveals:
> gcc [...]
> -I/home/chris/cvs/gdesklets/gDesklets-0.20/_inst/include/python2.3 [...]
> and then fails with Python.h: No such file or directory
>
> What have I done wrong?

Guessing of the top of my head, you have specified PYTHON_PREFIX using
relative paths rather than absolute.  Or is python really installed in
/home/chris/cvs/gdesklets/gDesklets-0.20/_inst?  How did you actually specify
PYTHON_PREFIX?

Another thing you might want to do (this won't actually fix your problem) is
change

PYTHON_CFLAGS="-I$PYTHON_PREFIX/include/python$PYTHON_VERSION"
AC_SUBST(PYTHON_CFLAGS)

PYTHON_CPPFLAGS="-I$PYTHON_PREFIX/include/python$PYTHON_VERSION"
AC_SUBST(PYTHON_CPPFLAGS)

as the -I<DIR> is actually a preprocessor flag (pedantic I know, but it will
bite you later if you have a Makefile generating both C and C++ code)

And then in the Makefile.am  you would should change

INCLUDES = \
        $(PACKAGE_CFLAGS) \
        $(PYTHON_CFLAGS)

AM_CPPFLAGS = \
        $(PACKAGE_CPPFLAGS) \
        $(PYTHON_CPPFLAGS)

Assuming you changed PACKAGE_CPPFLAGS as well.

Tom Howard