automake-1.7.7 and AM_CFLAGS/CFLAGS

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: automake-1.7.7 and AM_CFLAGS/CFLAGS
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:30:17 -0700

I have an automake/autoconf package that builds "normal" software and also
kernel modules.

"configure" builds a default set of CFLAGS that gets used to build general
software.

The problem is that the Makefile.am for any kernel code needs to use
different CFLAGS, and when automake sees this we get the:

 `CFLAGS' is a user variable, you should not override it;
 use `AM_CFLAGS' instead.

This application has thousands of Makefile.am's - any ideas on a good way to
fix this problem?