How can I create a different file type ??

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: How can I create a different file type ??
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:53:11 +0100

Hi,
        I have a package that uses autoconf/automake. There are some man
pages in $top_srcdir/man/man1. There are also html formatted versions
of the man pages in $top_srcdir/docs/html-docs, with the
extention.html appended. So if the man page is foo.1, the
html-formatted version is foo.1.html

I create the html formatted pages from the man pages using a utility
'man2html' which is on the web. Is there an obvious way of ensuring
the html files get updated if the man pages do?  I don't intend
distributing man2html, so just want to be sure that me (the
maintainer) forces an update of the html formatted man pages if I
update the normal ones.

I know producing html from man pages is not the best way, but it works
(sort-of).
the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge.

Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,
Department of Medical Physics,
University College London,