Re: question about undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: question about undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:51:36 +0200

Hi,

| After running ./configure.  I run make. Here is the result
| cd . && automake --foreign --include-deps Makefile
| cd . && autoconf

This usually happen when the timestamps of the files in the
package have been altered.

Top three causes:

  - you are on an NFS exported directory, and the NFS server
    and your client do not share the same clock

  - you have used a tool that do not preserve timestamps (like
    the -m option of tar, cp without -p, cvs update, ...)

  - the package itself ship with broken timestamps (if you were
    able to build it on HP without triggering automake and
    autoconf you can exclude this case).

| ./aclocal.m4:268: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
| aclang.m4:1689: AC_C_VOLATILE is expanded from...
| ./aclocal.m4:268: the top level
| make: *** [configure] Error 1

This is a secondary concern.  (Apparently this package was built
with Autoconf <=2.13 and Automake <=1.4.)  That should disappear
as soon as the timestamps are fixed.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz