Re: how to add dependencies to an auto-generated rule?

From: Jeff Rizzo
Subject: Re: how to add dependencies to an auto-generated rule?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:26:04 -0800

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:52:15PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Jeff> Ideally, I'd like to add a dependency on the file VERSION for the rule
> Jeff> for $(srcdir)/autoconf.h.in ...  is there any way to do this?
>
> Doesn't it work to just write the dependency in Makefile.am?
>
>     $(srcdir)/autoconf.h.in: VERSION
>
> Maybe my memory is slipping though.  Perhaps automake gets confused
> about this and doesn't write out its own rule.
>
> Tom

No, that was one of the first things I tried.  I wound up doing this:

.version-stamp: VERSION
        @touch .version-stamp
        ./config.status --recheck
        ./config.status autoconf.h solaris/pkginfo
        ${MAKE}

all-local: .version-stamp

clean-local:
        rm -f .version-stamp

...seems to work OK, though it sometimes causes an extra 'configure'
during build.

Thanks for responding.

+j
--