Which automake?

From: John Poltorak
Subject: Which automake?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:28:14 +0000

I am trying to build FPING:-

ftp://ftp.mirrors.wiretapped.net/pub/security/network-mapping/fping/fping-2.4b2.tar.gz

and get some strange errors when running configure & Make:-

creating Makefile
creating config.h
make
cd . && automake Makefile
configure.in: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
configure.in: You should verify that configure.in invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
configure.in: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
configure.in: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal).
configure.in: required file `./missing' not found
Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
/usr/local/share/automake-1.7/am/depend2.am: am__fastdepCC does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/local/share/automake-1.7/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
CONFIG_FILES=Makefile CONFIG_HEADERS= ./config.status
creating Makefile
Makefile:16: *** missing separator.  Stop.

I have just run ./configure as instructed in the INSTALL doc.

Should I be using some old version of Automake or do I also need run
something else before configure to bring things uptodate?

--
John