1-gary-strip-target-suffix-from-default-source.patch [was Re: Default so

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: 1-gary-strip-target-suffix-from-default-source.patch [was Re: Default source file names]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:32:40 +0000

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:02:04 -0700, "Kevin P. Fleming"
<address@hidden> said:
> Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>
> > with the simpler:
> >
> > ~    pkglibexec_LTLIBRARIES = gnu.la  ..... traditional.la
> > ~    AM_LDFLAGS = -module
> >
> > but unfortunately Automake wants to build `gnu.la' from `gnu.la.c', so the
> > repetitive sources declarations are necessary, unless I rename all my
> > source
> > files.
>
> This would help me out too, I thought of the same thing.

I dusted off my copy of Programming Perl and came up with the attached
patch.  I don't know whether stripping the lib prefix from {LT,}LIBRARIES
targets for a default source is also appropriate...

> The problem
> though is that a library is a collection of objects, it's not really a
> single object (even though we're both using them that way).

But so is a program if you look at it that way.  And `bin_PROGRAMS = foo'
is enough to build foo from foo.c, so it seems natural to have
`lib_LTLIBRARIES = foo.la' work similarly.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ())_.  Gary V. Vaughan    gary@(lilith.warpmail.net|gnu.org)