[Fwd: check_LTLIBRARIES and -module ??]

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: [Fwd: check_LTLIBRARIES and -module ??]
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:16:18 +0000

[I'm forwarding this to the automake list for their consideration, I think
that is where the problem lies.  You might tell them what version of automake
you are using.  ~gary]

This is part of my Makefile.am for my test directory:

~  check_PROGRAMS = test
~  check_LTLIBRARIES = libtest.la

~  test_SOURCES = ...
~  test_DEPEDENCIES = libtest.la

~  libtest_la_SOURCES = ...
~  libtest_la_LDFLAGS = -module

What's above doesn't result in a shared object at all, which is what I
would have expected (-module should result in something that can be
dlopen()'ed according to the manual). Instead I only get an archive
(.a).

Modifying the last line to read

~  libtest_la_LDFLAGS = -module -rpath /silly

will result in both an archive and a shared object being created.

Why didn't the first work the way I wanted? Is -module broken?

/M

$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.0a (1.1220.2.35 2003/11/12 18:51:58) Debian: 148 $

- --
Magnus Therning  mailto:address@hidden
+31-40-2745179  http://pww.innersource.philips.com/magnus/
OpenPGP:0x4FBB2C40

Philips, the company that I work for, does not support my idle ramblings.
The opposite, it goes without saying, is true as well.

- --
~  ())_.  Gary V. Vaughan    gary@(lilith.warpmail.net|gnu.org)
~  ( '/   Research Scientist http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk       ,_())____
~  / )=   GNU Hacker         http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool  \'      `&