Re: Desired feature

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Desired feature
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:01:30 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> Actually, now that you point it out, I would hit that problem myself, since m4
> has normal _LTLIBRARIES, noinst_LTLIBRARIES and modules.  I would be happy if
> I could do this:
>
> ~    AM_LDFLAGS = everything gets these
> ~    noinst_LTLIBRARIES_LDFLAGS = these are for convenience libs
> ~    lib_LTLIBRARIES_LDFLAGS = these are for other libtool libs
> ~    libm4_la_LDFLAGS = but I can override non module libs individually
>
> That is, I think target specific flags should override PRIMARY group flags,
> not be in addition to them.

I tend to disagree with you on this point.  I will agree if the system
has three levels plus a way to provide overrides.  For example, if the
user configures like

  ./configure LDFLAGS=-lbar

then I believe that this user-requested value should be applied to all
targets.  Likewise, the configure script may want to contribute some
common LDFLAGS parameters.

Automake should support

  o inheritance of standard configure flags
  o flags common across all targets
  o additional flags common to a grouping of targets
  o additional flags specific to just one target
  o a way to override common flags at any level.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden