Re: Desired feature

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: Desired feature
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:24:41 -0500

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:25:54AM +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> ~    AM_LDFLAGS = everything gets these
> ~    noinst_LTLIBRARIES_LDFLAGS = these are for convenience libs
> ~    lib_LTLIBRARIES_LDFLAGS = these are for other libtool libs
> ~    libm4_la_LDFLAGS = but I can override non module libs individually
>
> That is, I think target specific flags should override PRIMARY group flags,
> not be in addition to them.

So some levels add, but others override?  My brain hurts!

Then later, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> I can't think of a nice syntax where addition is the default, and overriding
> must be specified.

No, but by making overriding the default, addition is easy:
    target_LDFLAGS += -foo
And not exactly unprecedented, either :-)

I think both addition and overriding should be possible at all
levels.  Otherwise, whichever way a given level is hardwired,
it'll frustrate some users who want it the other way; and unless
all levels are hardwired the same way, it'll confuse and
frustrate *most* users.

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau