Re: Emulating GNU Make conditionals, or: Is there a nice way to automati

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Emulating GNU Make conditionals, or: Is there a nice way to automatically set CFLAGS when make is run?
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:42:03 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> > You can use Automake conditionals.  These are configure-time
> > conditionals rather than make-time conditionals.
> >
> > You could add --with-check and --with-prof options to your configure
> > script which enables these conditionals.
>
> Done. But shouldn't it be called --enable instead of --with? I thought
> --with was for external packages, and --enable was for features.

Sure, that is true in principle.  Just don't tell anyone that I
offered bad advice. :-)

The --with-prof is actually reasonable since the compiler will use a
different startup object file and may select different libraries.

> > If your package preserves the capability to build outside of the
> > source tree, then your users can simply maintain seperate builds with
> > the desired options enabled.
>
> Yeah, but the problem is that it makes some things, like doing a quick
> debugging or profiling build, be a little more trouble than before.
> Since you need to either keep the separate build around (and you may not
> need it all the time), and remeber to reconfigure when a part of the
> build machinery has changed, or you have to re-run configure each time,
> which is a bit of a waste of time, if all you want to have is a some
> CFLAGS mixing.

Your desire for CFLAGS mixing could just as easily result in a mixed
up build with different flavors of objects.  A build dictated entirely
by the Makefile is the only way to ensure a consistent built.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden