making convenience libraries without libtool

From: Marty Leisner
Subject: making convenience libraries without libtool
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:00:51 -0500

I'm using libtool to make convenience libraries merging
sublibraries...

I really don't need to use libtool since I don't build shared libraries.

How can I use automake to build convenience libraries -- or do I
need to make a command in the makefile.am  I can invoke like
this:

build_lib  -o libtarget.a foo/libfoo.a bar/libbar.a common/libcommon.a

where build lib busts up the archive foo, bar and common into a temporary
directory and then build libtarget.a.

marty           address@hidden
Don't  confuse education with schooling.
        Milton Friedman to Yogi Berra