grouping libraries

From: Marty Leisner
Subject: grouping libraries
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:20:43 -0500

Well, after much trial and error and head scratching, in order to group
libraries together (with linker options trailing the libraries) I did:

OUR_LIBS=../common/libCommon.a ../A/libA.a ../B/libB.a \
        ../HW/source/libHW.a

sim_LDADD=-Wl,--start-group $(OUR_LIBS) -Wl,--end-group
sim_DEPENDENCIES=$(OUR_LIBS)

When I run automake, I still get the warning:
sim/Makefile.am:7: linker flags such as `-Wl,--start-group' belong in
`sim_LDFLAGS

but obviously, these are order dependent flags, so the warning
makes little sense...

Is there a cleaner way for automake to handle this, or should I
just write Makefile.in's by hand...

marty           address@hidden
Don't  confuse education with schooling.
        Milton Friedman to Yogi Berra