Re: autom4te.cache and Automake 1.8

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Subject: Re: autom4te.cache and Automake 1.8
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:38:35 -0200 (BRST)

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Frédéric L. W. Meunier writes:
>
> > The info page for Autoconf contains:
> >
> >    As an example, to disable Autoconf caches (`autom4te.cache')
> > globally, include the following lines in `~/.autom4te.cfg':
> >

> > ## ------------------ ##
> > ## User Preferences.  ##
> > ## ------------------ ##
> >
> > begin-language: "Autoconf"
> > args: --no-cache
> > end-language: "Autoconf"
> >

> > I've been using it for a long time, but it no longer works with
> > Automake 1.8 and Autoconf 2.59, but works with Automake 1.7.9
> > and the same Autoconf.
>
> aclocal uses the language "Autoconf-without-aclocal-m4".

Thanks, it worked. The only documentation I found is

`Autoconf-without-aclocal-m4'

create Autoconf executable configure scripts without
reading `aclocal.m4'.

And the thread from Bruno Haible:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-automake/2003/msg00446.html

Sorry if I overlooked something, but for people who only need
the tools, the new required lines may become a FAQ.

I learned the others from the Autoconf info page, but there's
still nothing at

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/autoconf/autoconf/doc/autoconf.texi
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/automake/doc/automake.texi?cvsroot=automake

So, I guess

"I think we should either change the Autoconf documentation
(adding --no-cache to Autoconf-without-aclocal-m4 ought to be
enough, right?),"

(from
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-automake/2003/msg00453.html)

or something in the "Customizing `autom4te' " section is the
right thing to do.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html