Re: aclocal-1.8/m4_include behaving oddly

From: Phil Edwards
Subject: Re: aclocal-1.8/m4_include behaving oddly
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:38:47 -0500

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 03:17:54PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Phil Edwards <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > But now we're trying to move to the latest released tools, and aclocal
> > 1.8 flags errors dealing with that block:
> >
> >     aclocal: macro `_AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' required but not defined
> >     aclocal: macro `_AC_LIBTOOL_CXX' required but not defined
> >     aclocal: macro `_AC_LIBTOOL_GCJ' required but not defined
>
> Which means that you don't have libtool.m4 in $datadir/aclocal.
>
> > On the advice of a colleague, I tried adding "-I .." to the command line.
> > This worked.
>
> Previous versions of aclocal also required this.  If you run aclocal
> 1.7.x with --verbose you will see that it never looks at ../libtool.m4
> unless you pass "-I ..".

So... in fact, it's not been working the way we thought all along?  Ah crumbs.

> > We have tried very hard to avoid requiring developers to pass arguments
> > to the various autotools, largely because there's no way to help them do
> > so automatically.
>
> What's wrong with "ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I .." in Makefile.am?

Does aclocal pick those out itself, or is that only when rerunning from
a previously-built objdir?

> > And just recently I've been factoring out pieces of our large
> > acinclude.m4 into various smaller .m4 files; if the behavior of
> > m4_include is suddenly different, we'll have to rethink all that.
>
> There was no change in behaviour.  It only worked before because you
> had the libtool macros installed in $datadir/aclocal.  Presumably you
> are using a different prefix for your automake 1.8 installation, so
> that $datadir/aclocal is empty or does not exist.

I see.  I wonder why the ../libtool.m4 was added then, since we've never passed
-I.. when running aclocal.  Good to know.

Thanks!
Phil

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan