Re: automake -vs- huge projects (1st patch)

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: automake -vs- huge projects (1st patch)
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:01:29 +0100

>>> "Thomas" == Thomas Fitzsimmons <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Thomas> The size could still be reduced further though.  I
 Thomas> discussed the following with Tom on IRC:

 Thomas> - all libgcj objects are listed in
 Thomas> am__libgcj_la_SOURCES_DIST which is included in
 Thomas> DIST_SOURCES.  Adding the no-dist option doesn't
 Thomas> prevent the SOURCES_DIST and DIST_SOURCES variables
 Thomas> from being generated, even though they are not used
 Thomas> anywhere.  Tom has a patch that may fix this; I'm going
 Thomas> to try it out.

 Thomas> - I've eliminated all non-essential per-target flags,
 Thomas> but one libgcj library still requires them.  For this
 Thomas> library, .obj, .o and .lo targets are generated, where
 Thomas> .lo targets alone would suffice.

 Thomas> - Tom suggested that DEP_FILES may be redundant.  He
 Thomas> suggested that configure read the list of .Plo files
 Thomas> from the am__include lines in Makefile.in.

These sound like good ideas.  I plan to work on the .obj/.o/.lo
rules output.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz