Re: Expressing dependencies

From: Richard Dawe
Subject: Re: Expressing dependencies
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 01:09:37 +0000

Hello.

Andrew Suffield wrote:
[snip]
It may be worth noting that bison and flex, as invoked by automake,
have comparable issues with their ancillary files (especially
bison-generated headers). I never managed to figure a way to have
those work sanely with make either, let alone automake.

From the perspective of automake, it gets even worse, if you consider what bison (and maybe flex) do to filenames on DOS. There's some hideous mangling of the filenames to fit into the 8+3 short filename convention, if only short filenames are available (Windows '95 and later support long filenames).

   foo.y -> foo.tab.c (Linux, Unices & DOS with LFNs)
   foo.y -> foo_tab.c (DOS with SFNs)

The nasty part of this is that bison does this mangling without being told to. The only sane solution I came up with was to always tell it the file prefixes of the output files. But that breaks automake-generated Makefiles, IIRC.

Bye, Rich =]

--
Richard Dawe [ http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~phekda/richdawe/ ]

"You can't evaluate a man by logic alone."
  -- McCoy, "I, Mudd", Star Trek