Re: 1.8 and mkdir_p

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: 1.8 and mkdir_p
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:15:40 -0800

> > I think you are missing my point.
> >=20
> > The information I am talking about is used for *runtime* decisions - very
> > likely in a script that is in a shared directory used by many different
> > architectures.

> Oh, well, config.guess isn't designed for that -- it's for compile time
> decisions.

You are clearly joking!  I am not saying that I want to run config.guess as
part of every shell RC file. I am saying the information that *should* be
returned by config.guess (in its original spec) are sometimes needed for
runtime decisions in a variety of places.

> uname -s, test -x /bin/rpm, test -x /bin/dpkg
>
> are probably what you're after.

Not at all.

I am talking about problems that you apparently have never had to really
solve.