Re: Solaris and socket library

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Solaris and socket library
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:55:29 -0800

John Ling <address@hidden> writes:

> Now the solution was to add a -lsocket to the linking options.  But,
> should this not be something that autoconf or automake suite of tools
> detect and automatically handle for me?  Do I need to manually add this
> only when I run on Solaris?

I use this:

dnl The rat's nest of networking libraries.  The common cases are not to
dnl need any extra libraries, or to need -lsocket -lnsl.  We need to avoid
dnl linking with libnsl unless we need it, though, since on some OSes where
dnl it isn't necessary it will totally break networking.  Unisys also
dnl includes gethostbyname in libsocket but needs libnsl for socket().
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([gethostbyname], [nsl])
AC_SEARCH_LIBS([socket], [socket], ,
    [AC_CHECK_LIB([nsl], [socket], LIBS="$LIBS -lsocket -lnsl", , -lsocket)])

in configure.ac.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>