Can't run aclocal from automake 1.8

From: Freedomware
Subject: Can't run aclocal from automake 1.8
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:13:58 EST

I've installed automake 1.8 on Sun Solaris 8, and aclocal doesn't seem to know it's version number.  When I run aclocal --version I get:

/data/src/automake-1.8> aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU )

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>

When I try and run aclocal at the top of my source tree, I get:

/data/src/FW/prose-0.0.2> aclocal
aclocal: couldn't open directory `/usr/local/share/aclocal-': No such file or directory

The earlier version I used (automake 1.5) works fine, so for the time being I'm reverting to the old version.

But can you help me get 1.8 working?

Thanks,
Mark.

Mark R.Bannister,
Author, Programmer, I.T. Consultant and Musician.
Email: address@hidden
Website: www.freedomware.co.uk