Re: VPATH?

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: VPATH?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:31:00 +0100

>>> "Harlan" == Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

 Harlan> So in the past we have successfully created Makefile.am's that say:
 Harlan> address@hidden@:@srcdir@/other/dir

 Harlan> foo_SOURCES= filefromdot filefromotherdir

 Harlan> and with 1.8 I am seein more places where this no longer works.

 Harlan> The documentation does not clearly state that
 Harlan> augmenting VPATH is wrong.

 Harlan> Is it wrong to use an "augmented" VPATH with automake?

Right now, yes.  I don't know how it could have possibly worked
in the past.  In fact I don't believe it ever worked, but maybe
it depends on the definition we use for `to work' :)

For instance `make dist' has always assumed that files are
either in the current directory, or in $(srcdir).  Therefore it
would never distribute `filefromotherdir' [*].  I believe this
apply to all Automake versions.

Could you give a more detailed example of what worked, when, and
how?  "more places" is a bit fuzzy.

[*] I think this is not accurate if you limit yourself Solaris
    or Tru64 Make.  But I'm assuming you don't.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz