Re: Feature proposal: sort file compilation order by time

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Feature proposal: sort file compilation order by time
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:50:58 +0100

>>> "David" == David Sterba <address@hidden> writes:

 David> Hi,
 David> I'd like to present an idea which can make edit-compile-edit
 David> cycle faster.

 David> The idea is simple: compile first files which vere modified
 David> most recently.

The idea sounds sensible to me, but not the place.  Wouldn't it
be more useful to implement this as a make option?  It seems to
me that make has all the necessary information (it has to check
all time stamps anyway), and that doing this here would be more
generic.

Assuming that Makefile is re-read after one of its included file
(here Makefile.order) has changed is a GNU Make idiom anyway.

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz