Re: pathnames containing spaces

From: James Amundson
Subject: Re: pathnames containing spaces
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:41:47 -0600

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:07, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> In fact there is two different problems.  One is that we cannot
> support spaces in source filenames.

Right. I wasn't even thinking about that, but I definitely see your
point. I don't suppose colons in source filename would be work very
well, either.

> (Incidentally this will also break builds if
> the package has been unpacked in a directory with a space, and
> $(srcdir) is absolute.)

Is there any check for that? It might save someone confusion at some
point.

> Your problem is different.  You want spaces in installation
> paths.

Yes. That's really what I had in mind.

> Those paths do not appear as target or dependencies in
> Makefiles so there is no insurmountable obstacle.  As you say
> it's a simple matter of quoting.  Well sort of...  The appended
> patch is the start of a fix for this.

Excellent! Thank you very much.

Best,
Jim Amundson