Re: pathnames containing spaces

From: Scott James Remnant
Subject: Re: pathnames containing spaces
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:54:18 +0000

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 19:27, Russ Allbery wrote:

> James Amundson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > As far as I can tell, it is impossible to get automake to work with
> > pathnames containing spaces. The canonical example is
> >     ./configure --prefix="/c/Program Files"
> >     make install
> > which will cause make to choke because install will be called with
> > unquoted pathnames. I don't know if there are other examples -- I have
> > never made it past this one.
>
> make uses a space as a separator, and getting it to accept spaces in file
> names is extremely difficult or impossible depending on the version of
> make that you're using.

It should also be noted that Libtool suffers heavily from this problem
also.  The shell uses spaces as separators, which means Libtool isn't
even able to install to a directory containing a space:

dependency_libs="-L/mnt/Program Files/unix/lib -lfoo"

comes out as three arguments, and quoting the -L argument doesn't
actually solve that.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?