Re: pathnames containing spaces

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: pathnames containing spaces
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:10:22 +1100

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 00:08, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Good luck with fixing the white space problems in every process that
> reads arguments and uses white space as a delimiter of some sort.

Earnie has a very good point - GNU Arch faces the same problem with a
limited set of tools - patch, diff and tar. (Plus it's own internals of
course). We've come to the conclusion that whilst fixing
spaces-in-filenames, it would be sensible to address unicode glyphs at
the same time - so as to prevent auditing code twice (once to escape
spaces, once to espace unicode).

It's a big project no matter how you look at it...

Rob