RE: Conditional Library Compilation

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: RE: Conditional Library Compilation
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:58:02 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Drummonds, Scott B wrote:

> From: Frederik Fouvry [mailto:address@hidden
> > You can install it on other places than /usr/share or /usr/local
> > (forgot which one is the default) with
>
> But I don't own the large software project that I'm trying to modify.
> If I upgrade the version of Automake to provide a feature I need in the
> build environment, it will be my responsibility to validate the existing
> multi-million line project against the new version.  If you're telling
> me that Automake is 100% forward compatible--that I can upgrade from 1.4
> to the newest version and there will be no errors in Automake
> execution--then I'm on it!  But my experience leads me to believe that
> this is not the case.

Automake is very good at telling you about incompatibilities while
upgrading.  I don't recall Automake misbehaving at run-time due to an
incompatibility, but it is possible that it may have happened before
and I just don't remember.

Upgrading Autoconf is much more of a concern than upgrading Automake.
Unfortunately, newer Automake's require newer Autoconfs.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden