Re: about requiring Perl 5.6 in Automake 1.9

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: about requiring Perl 5.6 in Automake 1.9
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:37:19 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Akim Demaille wrote:

>  > I'm considering dropping support for Perl 5.005 in the future
>  > Automake 1.9, and require at least Perl 5.6.  Perl 5.6 will be 4
>  > years old next month, so it does not sound like asking for the
>  > moon.
>
> Actually, why not jumping to something really more recent.  Some
> people will have to upgrade their Perl installation, so they probably
> won't install 5.6 anyway.

It is not trivial to upgrade many Perl installations.  Doing so
requires rebuilding Perl modules, and requalification to ensure that
dependent software does not break. Perl 5.6.1 comes standard with many
existing systems.

Perl has worked fine since the beginning so I suggest that the minimum
version be the minimum version that can be reasonably tested due to
availability.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden